3 cayenne peppers
1 tbsp scallion, finely chopped
1/6 oz ginger
1 clove garlic
3 tbsps cornstarch
4 tbsps cornstarch sediment
2 tbsps rice wine
2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp vinegar
2 tbsp soy sauce
3/5 cup chicken stock
Caramel sauce, sesame oil for seasoning
Oil for frying
1. Shell and devein the prawns. Chop each prawn into 3. Cut the ginger into 3/8 inch square slices. Slice the garlic. Remove the seeds of cayenne pepper and chop into thin rings.
2. Combine in a bowl the batter ingredients and mix. Drop in prawns and mix by hand scooping a handful at a time and dropping it back into the bowl, the process repeated several times.
3. Combine in a bowl the sauce ingredients. Mix and set aside.
4. Heat the oil to 320°F. Drop in the prawn one by one and deep fry until they begin to change color. Remove the prawns and drain the oil into the container.
5. Pour 2 tbsps of fresh oil into the wok. Stir fry the scallion and garlic over high heat. When the aroma is released, add the sauce ingredients and bring to the boil. Drop in the prawns and coat them quickly with the sauce and place on a platter.